Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bauern-Stube (Orlando,FL) - Authentic German

Bauern-Stube
Authentic German
(407) 857-8404
8015 S Orange Ave
Orlando, FL 32809
http://www.bauern-stube.com/

ANGELA "THE FOODIE" SAYS:

Living in a city as big as Atlanta, I'm amazed at the lack of German restaurants. Although I haven't ventured out to Kurt's and Vreny's in Duluth yet, I did go to the Village Corner German restaurant in Stone Mountain and it was not thrilled. Not only was the brotchen (German rolls) unlike any I had ever had in the country, the schnitzel with spätzle wasn't either. Not that the food was bad - it just didn't taste like what I had growing up in Germany.

When I went to see "Average Man," we decided to go to Bauern Stube, and I was a happy camper, to put it tamely. The food was great - definitely not high-end cuisine, but quality, authentic, German food at a reasonable price. I had spätzle with cheese as an appetizer and a wienerschnitzel with a potato dumpling for an entree. Although we sat outside, I loved the glimpse I got of the homey inside with long wooden tables and an accordion player.

The restaurant is small and on the outskirts of the city. It's definitely a place I imagine not many of the Orlando tourists happen upon, and it closes quite early.

But just like I fell in love with Baraonda in Atlanta because it was the first pizza I found in the U.S. that tasted like the ones I've had in NE Italy, I have the same feelings about Bauern Stube.

And sometimes food isn't about how amazing the chef is and the creativity behind it, but the memories attached to those foods. It's comfort food.

Just as I remember the great Italian pizzas I had almost every summer in Italy and the tasty meat and potato-based meals I've had in Germany for most of my life, being able to experience them again always takes me to my "happy place."



Kartoffelpfannkuchen Potato Pancake $2.25
Apple Sauce and Sour Cream

Kase Spatzle mit Butter & Gebratenen Zwiebeln $3.25
Cheese Spatzle with Butter and Browned Onions

Zigeunerschnitzel mit Paprika and Zwiebel Sosse (gut gewurtzt) $16.95
Gipsy Cutler with Paprika and Onion Gravy (spicy)

Sides Dumpling & Red Cabbage

Wienerschnitzel $14.95
Vienna Cutlet

Beer - Paulaner
Pepsi

No comments:

Post a Comment