Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Lil Dizzy's Cafe(New Orleans, Louisiana)- Cajun, Creole

Lil Dizzy's Cafe
Cajun/Creole/Louisiana, Coffeehouse/Cafe
(504) 569-8997
1500 Esplanade Ave
New Orleans, LA 70116-1805

DARIO "THE AVERAGE MAN" WRITES:

"How yall doing?"

"If you ain't got your name on the list, please see my right now"

"I don't want to hear that bullshit."

"Tell him to get me a bus pan....... Right now!!!!!! "

"If I was not here, this place will be outta control"

Those were the many sounds uttered out of the Creole-Cajun owner of Lil Dizzy's Cafe. I want to be clear when I say that Lil Dizzy's is small, cluttered, noisy and the service was not the greatest. Really, this place was almost like waiting in line at your favorite club.




The most surprising thing about my experience at Lil Dizzy's is that everything that would typically make a  restaurant experience horrible actually contributed to the uniqueness of this place. The crowded, cluttered feel with the unedited dialect actually made it feel like I was eating at a family member's house for Thanksgiving or some other holiday. Strangely, I enjoyed that type of environment because it put me in a state of relaxation and comfortablity. With all the forgetting to bring silverware and the owner using foul language to get his crew running right came the best and most unique brunch that any place in the world can offer in my opinion. It can only be done like this in New Orleans. Here is what the buffet consisted off:

Macaroni & Cheese, Gumbo, Ribs, Fried Chicken, Hot Sausage, Eggs, Grits, Creole Potatoes, Red Beans

Yes!!!!!! I actually ate Ribs, Grits, Hot Sausage, Eggs and Red Beans all in the same meal. Wow, doesn't that sound like the most diverse meal you can ever have? The diversity of the Brunch Menu was almost like watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy.




Anyway, THE FOOD WAS ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, AMAZINGLY PERFECT. That is what I call an overuse of adverbs......... or adjectives.......How about just an overuse of words? Anyhow, a restaurant in New Orleans rarely ever fails to deliver in  unique cuisine flavor and Lil Dizzy's definitely followed that trend.

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler!!!!!

Laissez les bons temps rouler is a commonly used phrase in New Orleans. It is one of those weird sayings that you will know if you are from the "Big Easy". This phrase often comes up during Mardi Gras season on local T.V. and radio. It is said to be some sort of  French phrase that means "let the good times roll". I read that it was originally attributed to the Cajuns whose French ancestors came to live in Lousiana in the pre-colonial days.

Lil Dizzy's delivered tremendously and good times were rolling baby. In fact, the good times were rolling up until the point when I got home. I realized that I went to a buffet and messed around and gouged myself.




A - Great Food with a Homely Feeling

Happy Eating,
Dario "THE AVERAGE MAN" Mobley

No comments:

Post a Comment