Friday, September 3, 2010

Crawfish Shack Seafood (Atlanta,GA) - Seafood ,Cajun/Creole

Crawfish Shack Seafood
Categories: Seafood, Cajun/Creole
4337 Buford Hwy
Ste 170
Atlanta, GA 30341
(404) 929-6789


A close friend of mine that lives in Atlanta invited me to this place recently. I had not seen him in about a month so we were looking to get together, have a few drinks, eat some good food and catch up. As I have said on many occasions, I am originally from New Orleans so when it comes to someone copying The New Orleans cuisine, I think I approach the situation with a slight brick wall.


If I remember correctly, we met on like a Tuesday. I drove down to Atlanta to meet him at his house. We jumped in one car and headed to Crawfish Shack Seafood. We were not sure if they were still selling crawfish because of the time but luckily, they were. Of course, I did not order crawfish. I ordered a shrimp po-boy. After that, my mind begin to interpret the coming events as strange or as I like to call them, "Twilight Zone Events". My friend went up to order and he ordered 4 pounds of crawfish. Almost as soon as he finished his last syllable, I responded with a surprised and bewildered, "Damn, your getting 4 pounds!!!!!"


He responded with a calm, "Yes Man." This is his normal reaction in most situations but in my mind, he said it with a more assured tone of voice. We both waited for our food and it took less than 10 minutes to come out. My shrimp po-boy came out first. It looked normal I guess. However, as I bit into it, there was one problem. The problem was that the bread was extra crispy which I do not like. It was crispy to the point of almost stale. Still, the shrimp were good though and I continued to eat it. About a few seconds later, a 4 pound bowl of crawfish came out.


I have to admit when I saw the amount of crawfish in the bowl, I was more than intrigued but I had to stick to my guns with my shrimp sandwich so when he initially offered me some crawfish, I responded, "Nah, I'm good." So as I was finishing my stale ass sandwich up, I realized that my friend still had almost 2 pounds of crawfish left. Not only that but I noticed that he was sniffling, had crawfish residue all over and he had one eye slightly close as he devoured his meal. If you have ever eaten crawfish, you know that these reactions are a signal that the crawfish is "off the chains".



Anyhow, it was right about this time that I begin to tremble because I felt at that point that my decision of a shrimp po-boy was deeply flawed. I wanted to be the guy with the one eye closed. I wanted to be the guy with his lips swollen and his hands needing a thorough washing afterward. He just kept chomping away and I sat their in utter torture as the healthy, meaty crawfish rapidly turned into empty heads and tails. The funny part was at one point when he looked down at his phone, I actually "snuck" a peak:


When he looked up, I just acted like I was getting a text from my phone when in reality, I had not receive a text in over two hours so all I really was doing was looking at my menu screen.



The crawfish was dwindling fast and I was getting desperate. I wanted some of those crawfish....No, I needed some of those crawfish. I had just finishing eating but the smell and the thought of the crawfish juice in my mouth had me thinking I was one of those skinny kids that can be fed for one dollar a day.



At that point, I made up my mind that I would say forget it, swallow my pride and just ask for some. How can it hurt? All he could say was no. So as I was about to open my mouth to admit that I had underestimated Trey Songz who is an underrated R&B musician and Kyle Orton who is an underrated NFL quarterback that my friend likes and who had become analogous to the Crawfish he was eating, I got the best statement I had heard in a while, "Man, you sure you don't want some. I can't eat all this shit".


He came through again.

(A) - Crawfish was on point!!

Happy Eating,
Dario "The Average Man" Mobley

No comments:

Post a Comment