Friday, June 19, 2009

Taverna Plaka (NE Atlanta, GA) - Greek Tavern

Taverna Plaka
Greek Cuisine
(404) 636-2284
2196 Cheshire Bridge Rd
NEAtlanta, GA 30324-4274
http://www.tavernaplakaatlanta.com/


ANGELA "THE FOODIE" D'AMARIO:

Ah, Taverna Plaka, an Atlanta favorite for birthday parties, thanks to lively music, belly dancers, napkin throwing and dancing on tables. I wouldn't say it's the greatest Greek food in Atlanta, but it is delicious and worth eating. On the weekend nights, the restaurant turns into a dance party, with the DJ spinning international hits - Indian, Yugoslavian,etc. If you like a lively and loud atmosphere and Greek food, check it out. Come in large groups to maximize your fun. Be sure to get any of the appetizers, especially the Saganaki...I mean, what's better than cheese on fire?



DARIO "THE AVERAGE MAN" SAYS 7-29-2009:


Even I have to admit that the "cheese on fire" thing was pretty cool!!!!


















This was one of many things that gave Taverna Plaka "a personality" as "The Foodie" would say. It had a real homely and close knit atmosphere. It was almost a feeling like we were attending a party with a huge group of friends. Everyone was really seated close together and it was really loud. There was a huge group of girls that apparently was having a birthday party and I felt like I was a part of that celebration considering that the birthday girl was dancing on the table right next to us. Yes, she was dancing on the table. After the dancing exhibition, the first thing that "The Foodie" and I did was order a few appetizers. The appetizers are located under the title "Traditional Meze" on their menu.

Meze or mezze in the Eastern Mediterranean is a selection of appetizers or small dishes often served with beverage, like anise-flavored liqueurs such as arak, ouzo, raki or different wines, similar to the tapas of Spain or finger food.

In Levantine cuisines and in the Caucasus region (especially in Armenia and Georgia), these dishes are served as appetizers, as a part of any large-scale meal. When not accompanied by alcohol, meze is known in the Arab world as muqabbilat (Arabic for "starters").

Here are some of the appetizers we ordered:

Keftedes

Fried Meatballs Fresh ground meat with basil, onion and Greek spices

Kefalograviera Saganaki

Aged Greek sheep's milk cheese flamed in ouzo

Spanakopitakia Spinach Pie

Fillo filled with spinach and feta cheese


All of the appetizers were great and a welcomed change for me as I had never had flaming cheese. I kind of wondered to myself if it was okay to eat. lol!!! Anyhow, my favorite of all the appetizers was the Fried Meatballs. After we finished up the appetizers, I was still hungry so I proceeded to order this for my entree:


Paidakia

Lamb Chops Grilled marinated lamb chops, served with lemon roasted potatoes and green beans.


My lamb chops were also pretty good. They were really tender and well seasoned like I would prefer. Even with the great food though, there was still something else that highlighted the night. It was this:






























Yes, there were actual belly dancers prancing around while we were eating. It was fun and amazingly different at the same time. At one point, I actually gave "The Foodie" a dollar to tip the dancer and it looked quite interesting to see that. Amazingly different? Right? lol!!!

Anyhow, I would say Taverna Plaka was a great experience that combined good food with great personality.


A - Good Food with Great Personality


Happy Eating,
Dario "The Average Man" Mobley

No comments:

Post a Comment