Friday, June 19, 2009

Tenth Thai Cuisine & Lounge (Atlanta, GA) - Thai Food

Tenth Thai Cuisine & Lounge
Thai Cuisine
(404) 748-1491
Midtown
132 10th St
NE Atlanta, GA 30309
http://www.thetenththai.com/

DARIO " THE AVERAGE MAN" MOBLEY 6-29-2009:

I had always been interested in tasting Thai Food since I had a brief encounter with a Thai guy that I met in Montana. He was the husband of my girlfriend's best friend at the time and he would always rave about how great the food was. Also, he used to tell me how spicy it was and he believed that I would like it because of the spiciness of the New Orleans cuisine. Since I am from New Orleans, he put two and two together and he assumed that he had a winner. Anyhow, Tenth was an okay place for me. However, "The Foodie" seemed to be very popular at Tenth because the host seemed to know her very well as if she had been there the day before. He was also nice to me which leads me to believe that either he was just a nice energetic guy or he was a hell of a salesman.(I am a little cynical.) Anyhow, here is what "The Foodie" and I had:

Spicy Catfish
Sauteed filet catfish with green bean, red curry paste, and basil sauce

Jeebs
Chicken and shrimp steamed dumpling

Of course, "The Foodie" had the most fabulous thing on the menu. She has been doing that all the time at every restaurant and it is starting to bother me a little because I am suppose to be the "Semi-Good Food Ordered". lol!! I think she goes to the restaurants beforehand and samples everything and then when she goes with me, she pretends like she has not had it. Oh, by the way, she got lucky in Mindball and she beat me in Scrabble by creating new rules. I'm sorry about that. That did not have anything to do with my review but it was a random thought that I had to get off my chest. Hey Foodie, I got something for you:





For the record, that is not a real picture of me or "The Foodie" and I am just kidding D'Mari. lol!!!







You will not win at anything again and I will be ready for you next time!!!!!














Anyhow, the Jeebs was what she had and it was GREAT!!!! It was an appetizer and it was brought out on a long thin plate. I had the Spicy Catfish and I was a little disappointed. Consequently, this was the very last time that I did "THE FAKE". I must explain the "THE FAKE" to the people out there and when you realize that you have committed this crime many times, maybe you will stop doing it just like I did. "THE FAKE" is when you go to a new restaurant pretending that you are so cool and state infamously," Yeah, I will try anything" but you scan the menu for something that looks familiar. Basically, it is you staying in your comfort zone. If you want to stay in your comfort zone, just go to Longhorn's, Outback or some well known chain that has saturated every county in the United States. I do not have anything against chains but I would just rather a unique menu with unique ideas and a unique Chef. If I must go to a chain, I would rather a lesser known chain like the one's that are not on every corner. Roy's Restaurant is a great smaller chain. The website and my review are below just in case you are interested:

http://www.roysrestaurant.com/

http://unofficialfoodiereview.blogspot.com/2009/06/roys-restaurant-orlando-hawaiin.html


Anyhow, I did "THE FAKE" and I paid for it as my catfish was simply catfish fried with some sweet sauce on top. It did not strike my fancy too much. Also, I had a "Dump Truck"(no reference to my friend Ray) full of white rice. That was enough rice to feed starving children in East Africa. All and all, I would say the food was good not because of my dish but because of The Foodie's appetizer. Also, the host was really nice so that put me in a good mood on the night. from the outside, the restaurant looks pretty simple and cheap. It is not fancy place but it was cool. My grade for Tenth Thai Cuisine and Lounge is:

B - Not Super Fancy But Nice Host and Good Food

Happy Eating,
Dario "THE AVERAGE MAN" Mobley


ANGELA "THE FOODIE" SAYS:

Although Tenth isn't on the level of Nan (best Thai in Atlanta), it's definitely got good, affordable Thai food in an intimate, cozy setting.  The guy Average Man refers to above is named Tommy.  I've only been to Tenth four times, but I guess Tommy remembers the restaurant's guests because he acts like I'm an old friend every time I go, which is awesome.

When Average Man and I went, I also had my favorite soup in the world: Coconut.  If you've never had it, you're missing a fantastic party in your mouth.  Most Thai restaurants offer it with either chicken or shrimp.  Both are equally fantastic.  And most Thai places in Atlanta do it well, whether it's Uncle Wong's, Tamarind, Nan or Spoon.  Nan, of course, does it best.

Also, I'm a sucker for pretty presentation, and - like most Thai places - Tenth pays special attention to this.  

Overall, a great place...if you go, do sit at the bar and make small talk with the super friendly staff.  You'll have way more fun.

Always hungry,

Angela








No comments:

Post a Comment